Coach is a tool that enables you to find the appropriate principles to help you through the situations that you’re in. It’s much better than the directory in Ray’s Principles book to get you to the right principles for your situation. This component is populated with several hundred common life and work situations and the specific principles Ray would use to deal with them. Overtime, the Principles team will use your feedback to add more situations and principles over time.
Features of Coach
- Accessing Coach
- You can access Coach by tapping the Coach icon on the home screen or by tapping the menu button in the top left and selecting Coach.
- Text Search
- Search for advice that applies to the situation you’re facing by using the search bar on the main screen inside Coach to ask a question or describe a situation. Based on what you enter, Coach will return the most similar results from our library of common life and work situations that match your search. Tap on the situation that’s most similar to what you are looking for, and read and reflect on the relevant principles.
- Category Search
- All of the situations in Coach are organized into Categories. If you’re not sure what to search for, or would just like to browse the situations that are available, you can tap on a category underneath the search bar on the main screen inside Coach to see all the situations in that category.
- Reading Principles
- Within each situation is a list of principles that are curated by our editorial team as most relevant when dealing with that situation. You can review them within Coach by tapping into the situation you’re searching for. You can also view a principle in context in the book (Principles: Life & Work) by tapping “Open in book” at the bottom of any principle within a situation in Coach.
- Accessing Coach
- Saving Situations
- How to Save a Situation
- If you find a situation in Coach that you’d like to refer back to easily, you can save it by tapping into the situation, and then tapping the thumbtack icon within the situation header at the top. You’ll receive a notification that says “This situation has been added to your saved Situation results.”
- How to Save a Situation
- How to Access Saved Situations
- You can view your saved situations from the main search screen inside Coach. If you have any searches entered in the search bar, or a category selected, you’ll need to clear those in order to view your saved situations. (Tap the “x” icon in the search bar to clear your search. Tap on any selected category to de-select it.) Then, tap “Saved Situations”, which appears in red towards the middle of the screen on the right side, just above the list of your recent searches. You’ll then see a list of your saved situations, which you can tap into to view.
- How to Remove a Saved Situation
- If you’d like to remove a situation from your saved situations, you can do so by either tapping into the situation, and then tapping the thumbtack icon within the situation header at the top, or by tapping “Edit” on your list of saved situations, and then tapping the “x” icon at the top right of the situation you’d like to remove. (NOTE: if you remove a situation from your saved situations, it will still remain available in Coach and appear in your search results when appropriate.
- Providing Feedback
- Rating a Situation
- We constantly improve the guidance within Coach based on user feedback and new content by Ray. You can help us by rating how helpful you find the principles guidance curated within a particular situation. To do so, tap into any situation that you’d like to rate. Scroll to the bottom of the list of principles, where you’ll see “How helpful were these results?” and a 5-star rating option. Simply tap the number of stars that corresponds with how you’d rate the guidance for this situation, and your rating will be submitted.
- If you have a suggestion for Coach, such as a situation you’d like to see captured in Coach with relevant principled guidance, principles you think are missing from a situation, etc., please share that with us by tapping the “?” icon in the top right of the Principles in Action app and submitting a support ticket, indicating you have a suggestion for Coach and sharing that suggestion with us.